Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My dad's 82nd Birthday

 
(my dearest father, mother and me)


My father, Idrus Bin Rahmat, celebrated  his 82nd birthday on October 13 2012.  He worked with the Port of Singapore Authority before I was born.  He retired in his forties and have been receiving his monthly pension to-date.  

His pension is in Singapore Dollars, and  the amount remains the same all these years.  Then when the Malaysian Government increase its pension for all civil servants and those in uniform, my father always asked me why his pension never increase. So I told him, "abah, you worked in Singapore, not Malaysia, thats why your pension never increase one....".  Poor abah (father in Malay).

Every year, in December, abah has to take a photo of himself holding the day's newspaper.  Any newspaper, with the front page, and then post it to the PSA quarters.  The first time abah had to take the photograph, the photo studio photographer thought my father was crazy.  Then abah had to explain to him about the new regulations (actually PSA wants to ensure that my father still alive).  So now, at every year's end, abah will go to the same photo studio to take his photo.

Alhamdullilah, at 82 years old, my father is still healthy.  He does not suffer from hypertension or diabetes.  He exercises by walking around the neighbourhood every morning.  He reads the New Straits Times everyday, that's why he could write and speak English fluently.

He reads the holy Quran every day after Magrib prayers until Eshaq, and the Surah Yaasin every morning.  

During his school days, at Tun Mahmud Secondary School in Kuala Pilah, abah played football, rugby, and hockey.  He represented his school at the district and national level.  Then, when he was working at PSA, he became a body builder.  

Now, all my three sons are also involved in various sports.  Khairulzaman plays football, Wahiduzzaman plays the skateboard, and Badruzzaman is now a bodybuilder.

I love my father very much.  I pray for his good health always and I hope and pray too that he and  my mother will perform Umrah and Hajj with me.  Amiinn.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...