Saturday, February 25, 2012

Here he comes.......(future son-in-law)


My neighbour, Tuan Haji Ramli had a kenduri, to celebrate the arrival of his first grandchild, a baby girl.  All my neighbours were invited to this event.  The event started at eleven o'clock this my morning.  Well, the event happened the same day I met my future son-in-law for the first time.  

Kak Long (Siti Khadijah), my eldest daughter, informed me about a week ago, that her boyfriend is coming to meet us at our humble home on Saturday (which is today).   So, I told Kak long he could come in the afternoon and have lunch at our abode.

So....this morning, after an early breakfast of nasi goring, I began to cook lunch.  By eleven o'clock, I finished cooking and went to Hj Ramli's house for the kenduri.  Wow....the menu was very impressive....beriani rice, lamb curry, fried chicken, desserts... and nasi dagang cooked by Hj Ramli's wife, Hjh Rafisah.

My neighbours were all there.   But of course, the ladies had their own buffet table and we ate among the ladies.  The men too had their own buffet table under the canopy.  We ladies ate our food in the house, away from the men.  

I only ate the kuihs and fruits because I was not hungry...Some of my lady friends who noticed that I was not eating the scrumptious food, teased me about being nervous meeting my future son-in-law for the first time.  Well, of course I was nervous..... what if he does not like me as his future mother-in-law.... 

Well, my friends sure had a good time teasing me..... and me, being a good sport, laughed together with them.  By the time I left Hj Ramli's house, kak long's boyfriend has still not arrived.  So I called kak long over the phone, and she said that her boyfriend was waiting for her at the gas station and wanted to come with her too, because he too was nervous to meet me and my husband.

It was two o'clock when he finally came.  Kak Long guided him to our house.  My son, Khairulzaman and I welcomed him at our front door. His name, Ahmad Khalid, good looking and well mannered.  He did not come empty handed, he brought gifts for the whole family!! We all said thank you.

We sat in the living room and since Khairulzaman was around, he did small talk with Ahmad, while waiting for my husband.  When my husband returned from the mosque, Ahmad gave him the gift he brought.  My husband was surprised and said thank you too.

So, while my husband was chatting with Ahmad, I set the table for lunch.  Kak Long and Sofiyah helped me, so did Ayeshah.  Then we invited Ahmad to have lunch with us..The whole family, except for Badruzzaman, ate lunch with Ahmad.  We had ayam kampung masak lemak cili api, ikan bawal goring sambal and kari ikan masin, fried taugeh, sambal belacan and japanese cucumber.

After lunch, Ahmad, Kak Long, my husband and myself again sat in the living room and we began to discuss the procedure of what to take place before the actual wedding.  According to custom, Ahmad's parents must come to meet us and bring a gold ring as a sign that Ahmad has asked for my daughter's hand in marriage.  This will also be the first time his parents meet my daughter.   

Khairulzaman served us tea (he made it too sweet!) and hubby and I chatted with Ahmad, getting to know him and his family background.  He is from Pokok Sena, Kedah, 32 years old and is an engineer with a foreign firm.  He is the eldest among six siblings (similar to kak long) and his youngest sister is eight years old.

Ahmad finally left our house at 4.15pm.  He promised to make arrangements so that his parents could come next week, InshaAllah. 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...