Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wahid's 16th birthday


Tomorrow will be Wahid's 16th birthday. Actually he was suppose to share the same birthday as I, but he was born two weeks early.

He was born at Pantai Medical Centre in the wee hours 14th June 1994. Dr Maheswaran delivered him. When she put him on my tummy and was about to cut the umbilical cord, I noticed a balloon like thing on his tummy. I asked Dr Maheswaran about it and she told me not to worry. And after cutting the umbilical cord he was whisked away by the staff nurse. I did not get to hold him at all. Then i fell asleep...

When I woke up and asked about my baby, the staff nurse took me to SCBU (special care baby unit). There was my baby lying on a special cot. The 'thing' was still on his tummy. The paeditrician, Dr Iyngkaran, explained to me and my husband that our baby has umbilical hernia and he needs surgery to rectify it fast. I almost fainted when i heard that. I have yet to hold him close to my heart and breastfed him. It was frustrating not being able to do that. Wahid was operated on at 7pm the same day. Dr Karpal Singh did the surgery.

Umbilical hernia is when part of the small intestine protruded through the navel. So, the surgeon had to push the intestine back into its original position.

Wahid was born without a navel. But with Dr Karpal's expertise, he created a navel for Wahid. I only got to hold and breastfed my baby about a day after the operation...Alhamdullilah he grew up healthy and fine. But then...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...